Saturday, February 16, 2013

Speak to a stranger today... but please don't tell them you love them.... it might get strange.


Ever since I can remember I've always had a valentine. I fell into the trap, the crazy idea of celebrating love for someone on that one special day throughout the year. Truth be told, the love you have for anyone should be celebrated DAILY.... but I digress.

This year I celebrated my love for self. This was the first year I was officially alone, but felt more loved than any amount of chocolates, teddy bears, kisses or hugs [(I hate chocolate by the way)]. I lost my job last month and where most people would curse their lives and previous employer, I had never felt more relief and support in all my life. I have an awesome family for starters, an awesome mom, aunt and grandmother who have been my backbone since I ended my five year relationship and purchased my beautiful home. They’re strong women… I admire them so much!

Sorry, I got sidetracked again...

When I woke up on this past Love Day, I was elated... as I have been every morning since I've been unemployed. I received a text from my two aunts, friends, my mom and my father all wishing me Happy Valentine’s Day. I have more love than I know what to do with and I love it! But I must say, my most surprising moment.... when my smile took new form was on my way to class and I was wondering about my accounting exam, how the $6.00 parking I had just paid was coming out of grocery money, or all the many NEW things I have to think about... a stranger passed me by and said, "Hi beautiful, Happy Valentine’s Day."

I know it's corny, I feel silly even blogging it. But it's amazing to me how impacting words are. How they can change a person’s stream of thoughts, their mood... even transform a person completely. I'm not naive to think the guy really cared about how his words impacted me, I'm sure he was simply trying to get my number. Maybe I'm being overly critical and pessimistic... any who.... [(just saying)]. I think it was the fact that he was the first and last person to say it and he was a complete stranger. Sure, I received the texts and read the words out loud to myself, but hearing it is different. The words resonate differently when voiced. The power of words, the power of communication is amazing. Words hurt and words heal, how can such a small element carry so much weight?.... Odd to think that sometimes words from a stranger can have the greatest impact. 

A Flat Planet Thought: Is the celebration of Saint Valentine’s Day a celebration of Valentinus’s execution or the fact that he believed in love and performed weddings for people who were forbidden to marry. This has never been made clear to me….  Why are there so many legends around this date anyway?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment